Our Classic Tomato Pasta Sauce is quite simply delicious. A no fuss, easy recipe that is full of flavour.
It tastes incredible on its own, stirred into pasta with shavings of parmesan on top. It is also a superb base for adding lots of other healthy ingredients. Whatever your preference, we guarantee you won’t want to buy pre packed tomato sauce ever again!
If you have an allotment and grow your own fruit and veg then this recipe is excellent for making use of lovely, freshly picked tomatoes. A firm family favourite recipe!
Best Ever Classic Tomato Pasta Sauce.
Cooking Time; 1 hr 10 Minutes
- 1kg Fresh red tomatoes
- 1 Medium onion – finely diced.
- 1 Large clove fresh garlic – crushed
- 10 Large, fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Glug of olive oil
- Parmesan – for serving
- Prepare the vegetables. Roughly chop the tomatoes, finely slice the onion, crush the garlic and finely dice the basil stalks. Keep the leaves to one side.
- Add a large glug of olive oil to a pan and heat over a medium setting. Add the onion cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly so they do not burn.
- Add the garlic and add the basil stalks. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and half of the basil leaves, torn into pieces. Season with a little salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about an hour without the lid on. Stir every now and then, you need to wait unti the liquid has reduced to a thick consistency.
- Add the tomato sauce to a blender, blitz a little. Tear up the reamining basil and stir into the sauce just before serving.
- Delicious served with pasta with a shaving of parmesan on top.
Double the quantities and freeze for up to 1 month!
Can be made using good quality tinned tomatoes too. Simply subsitute the 1kg of fresh tomatoes for 800g of tinned.