If you’re looking for a cheap, fun Halloween activity to do with the kids then make a batch of our ‘Super Easy, Chocolate Orange Halloween Biscuits’. This recipe is a doddle to make and decoration can be as low key or creative as you like!
To decorate use textured stamps or a fork to create patterns in the dough before baking. Alternatively wait for the biscuits to cool before decorating with coloured icing or melted chocolate. We love to use chocolate as it compliments the orange flavoured biscuits nicely.
Super Easy, Chocolate Orange Halloween Biscuits.
- Prep Time; 10 mins.
- Cooking Time; 12 mins plus 5 mins cooling.
- Makes approx 20 biscuits.
- 200g Unsalted butter – room temp
- 200g Golden caster sugar
- 400g Plain flour plus extra for dusting.
- 1 Large free range egg
- ½ Tsp orange extract (or Vanilla extract)
- Rind of 1 orange (Omit if using vanilla)
- To Decorate – 100g Dark Chocolate
- Pre heat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the butter to a large bowl and beat until soft. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and soft.
- Add the egg and orange extract and sift in the plain flour. Add the orange rind. Mix well until the dough begins to form into a ball
- Sprinkle flour onto your work surface and continue to knead the dough into a ball. If it’s too sticky to handle add a little flour.
- Roll the dough to 1cm thickness & continue to cut out your biscuits using a biscuit cutter. Alternatively place a little dough into the palm of your hand, roll into a golf sized ball then flatten with your hand.
- Continue step 6 until all the dough has been used up.
- Place the dough onto the baking tray. Create patterns in the dough should you wish.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for approx 12 minutes or until the edges are starting to go golden.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- If using chocolate, melt & decorate onto the biscuits.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Freeze the dough! If you want to make double the batch you can freeze the dough for up for 2 months. Simply roll the dough into a ball for freezing and wrap well. Defrost throughly before using then knead to soften the dough prior to rolling.
Experiment with the flavours! Replace the orange extract with vanilla extract and remove the orange rind from the recipe.
Try adding chocolate chips to the mix or a little stem ginger.