If you’re planning a BBQ soon then make sure you serve this tasty recipe alongside! ‘Mirela’s BBQ Salad’ is full of steamed vegetables coated in a mildly spiced, creamy dressing.
The flavours can be easily adapted to serve alongside barbecued fish and meat but it is also delicious served on its own too.
Mirela’s BBQ salad is named after the lovely lady who has been making this recipe for years. She kindly shared this recipe with me (Not just on paper, I sampled the actual dish during our work lunch break too!), thank you Mirela!
Mirela’s BBQ Salad
Servings – 4
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cooking Time – 25 mins
- 3 Medium Carrots – Peeled and sliced (approx 330g)
- 2 Medium Potatoes – Peeled & quartered (approx 330g)
- 130g Peas
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs – Hard boiled
- 100g Gherkins – Diced
- 1 Tsp English Mustard
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Fresh Parsley – For serving
- Steam the carrots and potatoes until al dente cooked. Be careful not to overcook, you still want them to hold their shape when mixed. We cooked in a steam oven for 25 minutes.
- Cook the peas in a pan of simmering water for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place two eggs in a pan, add enough cold water to only just cover the eggs. Bring to the boil, once boiling, turn off the heat. Place the lid on the pan and leave the eggs in the water for 10 minutes. Run under cold water, shell the eggs then cut into small cubes.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked and cooled, cut into small pieces.
- Place carrots, potatoes, peas, eggs and gherkins in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the mustard and mayonnaise, stir until combined.
- Add the sauce to the vegetables and carefully fold together.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
It tastes great with the addition of a little parma ham or diced chorizo sausage.
To serve alongside fish, add a little lemon juice to the sauce.