As the name states our Strawberry & Cream Cupcakes are quite simply gorgeous. The moist sponge combined with whipped cream creates a lovely light result. You’ll find it hard to resisit a second helping!
They are a perfect alternative to scone and cream which are served with many traditional afternoon tea’s. British strawberry season officially starts on the 1st May, however we’ve spotted plenty in our local fruit and veg store over the past few weeks and we just couldnt resist buying a punnet or two!
What better way to celebrate St Georges Day than with a freshly baked batch of ‘Strawberry & Cream Cupcakes’, each topped with a fresh British strawberry! Follow our recipe below to make your own;
‘Strawberry & Cream Cupcakes’
Prep Time – 15 Minutes
Cooking Time – 18-20 Minutes
Servings – 12.
- 150ml Plain natural yogurt
- 175g Golden caster sugar
- 140g S.R flour
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 100g Ground almond (or substitute & use plain flour)
- 175g Unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Free range eggs, beaten
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 250ml Double cream – whipped
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 20g Icing sugar – plus extra for dusting
- Fresh strawberries
- Strawberry Jam
- Pre heat oven to 170°C (fan) & line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Mix the yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Now add the yogurt mixture and melted butter to the dry mix and gently fold together until combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the cases. Bake for 18 mins or until golden and springy to the touch. Once ready, remove from the oven, cool in the tin for 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
- Using a sharp knife carefully cut a circle out of the top of each cake at an angle. Pop the top to one side.
- Whisk the cream gently, when it starts to thicken add the vanilla extract and sift in the icing sugar. Whisk to mix.
- Add a teaspoon of jam to each cupcake. Top with a heaped teaspoon of fresh cream and add fresh strawberry slices. Finally pop the cupcake tops back on, then dust with a little icing sugar.
Try using different fruit and jam combinations. These cake topping suggestions all work beautifully;
- Lemon curd with fresh passionfruit topping.
- Raspberry jam with fresh raspberry topping.
- Blueberry jam with fresh blueberries & blackberry topping.
Cupcakes (Without the toppings) can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They are also suitable for freezing and can be stored for up to a month.
Recipe inspired from bbc good food.
We have even have a St George dinner sorted for you too! Serve up our ‘Ultra Light Toad In The Hole’, smothered in homemade caramelized red onion gravy! Comfort food at it’s best!