To celebrate UK sausage week we’ve saved this lovely recipe for you! Our Deliciously Rich Sausage Bean Casserole is really easy to make and tastes seriously good.
I cannot think of a better evening meal to enjoy on a chilly Autumnal evening! Take a trip to your local butchers, grab some quality sausages and get cooking this fabulous dish. It is highly likely that ‘Rich Sausage Bean Casserole’ will make a regular appearance in your house after you’ve tried and tested it!
Deliciously Rich Sausage Bean Casserole Recipe.
Prep Time; 15 minutes
Cooking Time; 1 hour
- 2 Tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 Yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 Red pepper, chopped
- 1 Large chorizo, sliced
- 8 Good quality pork sausages
- 3 Large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1½ Tsp Smoked paprika
- ½ Tsp Ground cumin
- ½ Tsp Chilli powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Tomato puree
- 125ml White or red wine
- 2 x 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 3 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 x 28g Chicken stock pot or stock cube.
- 1 x 400g Cannellini or kidney beans, drained & washed
- Heat the rapeseed oil over a medium heat in a large, heavy based pan.
- Add chopped onion and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the pork sausages under a medium grill for 5 minutes to brown. They do not need to be fully cooked, this is to add a little colour to them.
- Add the celery sticks, yellow and red pepper to the onions and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Add sliced chorizo, tomato puree, garlic, paprika, cumin and chilli powder. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and stir well ensuring no residue remains on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, fresh thyme and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer while stirring. Add the browned sausages then continue to cook for 40 minutes, stirring occassionaly.
- Add 400g of beans and the honey. Stir and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Before serving remove the thyme sprigs. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Enjoy. Delicious served with creamy mash or why not try serving with our Creamy Irish Champ recipe!
This delicious recipe can be cooked in the slow cooker. Make sure you brown the sausages first, follow up to step 3 then add all the ingredients to a large slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Suitable for freezing for up to 3 months.
Recipe inspired from bbcgoodfood.com