We absolutely love this ‘Roasted Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chilli’ recipe. It’s flavoursome, healthy and so tasty.
Doubling up on the batch is highly recommended. Leftovers taste amazing served up in wraps for lunch with a sprinkling of vegetarian cheese. You can freeze portions for up to three months too meaning you’ll have a delicious meal ready to go without the need to start cooking from scratch!
Grab your aprons, get peeling some veg and have a go at making our easy Roasted Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chilli yourself. You’ll be so pleased you did!
Roasted Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chilli.
Cooking Time; 35-40 minutes.
Preparation Time; 20 minutes.
Serving – 6
- 2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 Tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tsp ground cumin
- 1 Red onion chopped
- 2 Celery sticks, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 Tsp chilli powder (adjust to suit your taste/spice level)
- 1/2 Tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t like it too spicy or add more if you do!)
- ¼ Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- 1 Red or yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 Large carrots, peeled and grated.
- 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250ml Vegetable stock (add more if too sauce becomes too thick)
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 200g Fresh small plum tomatoes, halved
- 400g Tin black beans, drained
- 400g Tin kidney beans, drained
- 2/3 Pieces of dark chocolate
- Heat the oven to 185°C. Place the sweet potato in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika, a little sea salt and cracked black pepper. Toss until each piece is coated. Place in the oven and roast for 25-30minutes.
- Heat a large glug of olive oil in a large heavy based pan over a medium heat. Cook the onions and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mix well before adding the remaining spices (smoked paprika, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, oregano) and finally the tomato puree. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper, grated carrot, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finally add the black beans, kidney beans, fresh tomatoes and dark chocolate. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Give it a good stir before adding the roasted sweet potato.
- Season to taste.
Double the batch as this recipe is suitable for freezing for up to 3 months.
Serve with rice, cream fraiche & avocado slices.
Roasted Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chilli Recipe